Our History

The Dallas Seventh–Day Adventist church dates its beginning in 1876, when a church of 18 members was organized following a series of lectures by D. M. Canright. That same year, M. E. Cornell came and gave another series of lectures. The church in Dallas was one of the first Seventh–Day Adventist churches organized in Texas, and met at a location on Gano Street in Dallas.

In 1915 the church had a sanctuary and a narrow room in the back for Sabbath School classes. The first school was at this church and accommodated 12 children. Later a two room school was built on the lot next door. Through the years the church grew, until in 1920 it had a membership of about 125 people. That year Elder J.H.M. Tindall and company held a series of evangelistic meetings in Dallas and added about 55 members to the church. At this time the property at 2900 Live Oak was purchased. This church facility had a school upstairs and a room in the basement where they held church socials.

In the fall of 1944, and spring of 1945, Elder F. W. Detamore, of the Voice of Prophecy group, came to Dallas and held two series of meetings; one in Fair Park and one in Oak Cliff. These two meetings nearly doubled the church’s membership. The future needs of the church needed to be addressed, so a building program was begun by the pastor, Elder T. B. Westbrook. In September, 1945, they selected a site located at the corner of Bryan and Grigsby streets. The building was to cost approximately $125,000 and would include a main auditorium seating 800, a youth auditorium seating 400, and a primary and junior department for Sabbath School. The architect chosen was Emil A. Fretz, Jr., and completion was scheduled for January 1949. The program was carried on by Elder H. Christensen, who was pastor from June, 1945, until June, 1951, when illness forced his retirement. During Elder Christensen's term, he instituted a radio program and conducted several series of meetings, brining the membership to over 400.

In 1950 the property which had first been selected as the building site was sold and five lots on Central Expressway, where the church is now located, were purchased. In June of that year ground was broken for the $40,000 church school building with a seating capacity of 400. The school was opened the 1st of January, 1951. In April, 1951 the church property located on Live Oak was sold and the church services moved to the school auditorium.